I’ve sworn off most Twitter activity for about a year now (perhaps I’ll blog about why later).
So have a replacement mini-feed for whatever short-form publicly available rants I have.
I work during the day. When I get off of work, I work on various things. I try to do the following every single day:
- Read a bit of Legend of the Condor Heroes, a famous Chinese novel
- Practice my flute for around 1 hour
In addition, recently I’ve tried to be more intentional in focusing on specific things, because it prevents me from wasting time on the internet doing nothing in particular, then going to sleep disappointed in myself for doing nothing. Recently it’s been the following:
- Rereading the full Bionicle story
- Progress: Finished Volume 4 Chapter 50
- Learning Common Lisp, the programming language
- Progress: Not started
- Play a bit of Touhou. Currently working on:
- Spot practicing Elegant Impermanence of Sakura
- 2022-06-29: Just finished playing through all three games of another similar series, Hello Charlotte. The story really flew over my head though, so I’m not sure I really liked it that much. I did some reading briefly about the game and apparently there’s a lot of symbolism related to the author’s real life? In either case I can applaud them for something they obviously put a lot of time into. In other news, I helped someone in a major way two weekends ago, probably the biggest “good deed” I’ve ever done. I’d rather protect the privacy of the person but if I trust you, you can ask me privately about it. The flute recital mentioned last time went really well, I’m really proud of what I was able to put out there. Click here to watch the recording! Otherwise, life is fine. I’m looking forward to the Product Security org’s summit in July, which is an excuse to travel to Menlo Park and just get out of home a bit more. The weather is finally starting to warm up, as well.
- 2022-05-22: Finished OneShot, though it was kind of disappointing coming after Omori, lol. Flute is going well. Two weeks till the recital, and I actually got most of the stress out of my system (for now). Work is kind of shitty recently, trying to migrate a system to another system and the new solution is too slow and I don’t know how to optimize it. Taking some time off this coming week to unwind. I’ve also been trying to sketch recently. You can follow me on Instagram @williewillus to keep up.
- 2022-05-05: Started playing OneShot, another indie RPG-ish game, but this one is a lot shorter at only 3 hours. I’m currently about 1/3 of the way through. On the flute front, the next recital is coming in a month and I’m starting to get stressed about it, lol. I guess this is a good time to start stressing so I can get it all out of my system by the time June rolls around. Mentally again not feeling fully up :/
- 2022-04-19: Finished Omori last weekend. I’m proud to say I correctly guessed the plot twist thanks to my thorough notes which helped me process and think about what was going on. The ending was major knives though lol. What depressed me more is the fact that making something like this seems so out of reach for me. I don’t feel creative at all. My hobbies consist of code-monkeying for modding and consuming content other people have created. Can there be a day where I can make something of my own?
- 2022-04-16: Been grinding pretty hard on Omori. I love these heavy story-driven games a lot. One thing I’ve been guilty of in the past is speeding through things too quickly and not taking time to enjoy the game to its fullest, so this time I’ve been deliberately slowing down and keeping a notes document of my thoughts and observations. It also helps me remember the story since I have the memory of a goldfish. I think the emotional atmosphere the author creates in the present-day chapters is exemplary, and it contrasts so well with the naive and innocent relationships the characters have in the headspace chapters.
- 2022-04-07: Got lazy with these again, oops. I finished porting Botania to 1.18.2, and will be speaking at BlanketCon 2022 about our experience supporting both Forge and Fabric in a single codebase. Game wise, I finished the main story of Pokemon Legends: Arceus. It got a bit cliche, but overall I appreciate the game for trying something new. I also started playing Omori, at my friend’s behest. I’ve gotten quite drawn-in to the story, and I love this genre of games, so I’m excited to see what happens next.
- 2022-02-15: Recently my fingers have been hurting a bit at the end of the day. It might be because I’ve started practicing flute pretty intensely again after several years of light playing. Also, it might be the shitty rubber-dome keyboards they have at work. I already ordered another Ducky keyboard for my own use at home, so hopefully I can take my current keyboard to work and use it there. I’ve also been playing less Touhou, as it tends to strain my fingers a lot. Sucks that pretty much all of my hobbies involves use of my hands (except reading, I guess).
- 2022-02-14: Link Click released their Valentine’s Day PV, and Qiao Ling is so hot oml. I think they changed her makeup or shading slightly but it’s fire. Also her little giggle is so cute lol. This also launched me back into a cycle of listening to Link Click’s beautiful OST and music. The insert song “What Time Taught Me” is quintessential graduation music and makes me ultra nostalgic lol.
- 2021-12-23: Made the mistake of doing /list on irc.esper.net and looking through the channels. Oddly bittersweet seeing so many dead modding channels still held alive there by random people idling, but mostly sad for the abandonment of IRC for a closed-source, proprietary, centralized service.
- 2021-12-23: Created this section of the site, inspired by my older sister’s equivalent page.