My name is Vincent Lee. I’m from Austin, Texas.
I studied Computer Science at the University of Texas at Austin, and graduated in 2020 with a B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science.
I graduated in 2015 from Vista Ridge High School in Cedar Park, Texas.
I play the flute, and am a former violinist and pianist (I still know my piano scales!)
In spare time, I enjoy modding Minecraft, playing Touhou, and reading Touhou lore.
If you know me from the internet, you probably know me by the nick williewillus. I’d prefer if you kept calling me that (or “willie”), it’s extremely awkward when internet friends use my real name. It’s a nick I’ve been using for about 10 years now, and you can read about how I chose it below.
- I currently work at Facebook on the Product Security Program Analysis group. I work on static analyzers such as Zoncolan to help find security issues at FB in an automated manner.
- In the past, I have also interned at Blackbaud, Indeed, and Facebook.
- I am not currently looking for a job. If you want to contact me anyways for business purposes, please email vincent dot lee at outlook dot com. Note that unless there’s a really good reason, I’m probably not going to respond. Pointless or repetitive spamming will lead to an immediate block.
- I am the primary maintainer of the famous Botania mod, usually performing maintenance and bugfixing, as well porting the mod to newer versions of Minecraft. I have ported the mod from 1.7.x to all versions up to the present. I also maintain its dependency mod Patchouli.
- I was part of TeamTwilight, maintainers of the famous Twilight Forest mod for Minecraft 1.11 and above.
- I was the primary maintainer of the Minecraft mod ProjectE from 1.8 through the 1.14 port. The mod is now maintained in later versions by pupnewfster.
Origin of the name ‘williewillus’
Not a particularly interesting story, but I’ll tell it nonetheless. It was 2006, I was about 9, and we were taking a family trip to SeaWorld. Before leaving, I acquired a little gray dolphin plushie/doll, which my siblings and I promptly named ‘Willie’. He was part of the 4-throne royalty of Dolphin World, yet he was different: quirky and intelligent. He had a sharp mind that never ceased to question anything. The ‘Willus’ is a special kind of dolphin that occurs every 13-14 generations or so within the royal line, and Willie happened to be the one. From then on, I have taken on the web name “williewillus” as a tribute to that little gray doll, as well as a reminder to myself to always question the why in everything, to never stop being different, to not fear being quirky, and to pursue intelligence on a higher level.
As our lives go on, our proudest achievements will always fade in light of newer, better accomplishments. However, I love to reflect on past and the journey to the present. So here lie my proudest accomplishments from the past. Constantly updated, never cleared. Most recent at the top.
Click to expand
- Graduating from UT Austin with a BS and MS, with a 4.0 final semester (Spring 2020)
- Being extended a full-time offer for (redacted) in 2020 (Summer 2019)
- Getting accepted into the UT 5-year MS program (Fall 2018)
- Achieving my first Touhou ExNNN (Summer 2018)
- Joining the amazing people at Facebook and working with them for a summer (Summer 2018)
- Achieving a 4.0 (perfect) semester (Fall 2017)
- Joining the amazing people at Indeed and working with them for a summer (Summer 2017)
- Getting an A in the much-feared Operating Systems Honors class
- Joining the amazing people at Blackbaud and working with them for a summer (Summer 2016)
- Becoming the de facto caretaker of the amazing Botania mod
- Surviving my first semester of college u.u
- Winning the Austin Flute Society / Austin Flute Club Young Artist Competition – Senior Division (Spring 2015)
- Joining the ProjectE development team (Spring 2015)
- Winning the John Philip Sousa Award, aka the official version of a “biggest band nerd” award (Spring 2015)
- Getting a major pull request (DMPedestal) pulled into ProjectE (Spring 2015)
- Getting a minor pull request (bucket amulets / automation) pulled into ProjectE (Spring 2015)
- Performing with the Vista Ridge Wind Ensemble at the 2014 Midwest International Band and Orchestra Clinic (Winter 2014-2015)
- Being accepted into the UT Turing Scholars Honors Program (Fall 2014)
- Getting a minor pull request (XPFix / ChatOpacityFix) pulled into MinecraftForge (Fall 2014)
- Being the principal flutist of the Austin Youth Symphony in the spring seasons of 2014 and 2015
- Achieving Principal Flutist (1st chair) in the Region 26 Orchestra of 2013 and Assistant Principal (2nd chair) in 2014
- Helping the Vista Ridge Marching Band earn a BOA San Antonio finalist spot for the first time (Fall 2014)
- Achieving 5th place in the UIL Computer Science written test (Spring 2013-2014)
- Creating and releasing BugfixMod (Winter 2013-2014)
- Helping the Vista Ridge Marching Band earn a 2013 UIL 4A Bronze Medal in marching (Fall 2013)